Sunday 29 August 2010

Museums, sketchbooks and erosion bundles


I can't believe nearly six weeks has passed since my last post! Although I haven't actually made any more progress on project 1, I have managed a couple of trips to two excellent museums. 'Scolton Manor' in Pembrokeshire has some beautiful textiles and really helpful staff to answer questions. For such a small place, it offers so much and is very inspiring. 'St Fagans' near Cardiff was fantastic too... one of those places where there is almost too much to take in, so I plan a return visit sometime soon. I didn't pass up on the chance to take some interesting textural pictures while I was there.



I've spent so many hours reading various art and textile art books I can almost forgive myself for not completing project 1 yet. I have been looking at the work of Paul Klee, Picasso, Van Gogh etc plus have spent time trying to grapple with art history. With so many textile art books out there, it is difficult to know which of these to read, but I have generally stuck with whatever's available at the local library or any that I see recommended in the OCA forums. My favourite though for making the study of art a little more understandable is a book called '...isms' UNDERSTANDING ART' by Stephen Little.

My sketchbook has also been completely neglected recently, but as I've signed up for 'The Sketchbook Project' with 'Art House Co-op', I am at least practising my drawing for this. I have also been giving some thought to 'erosion art', which I first read about on 'The Erosion Bundle Project' website. I am seriously keen to give this a try, but am also going to be more than a little cautious as I really don't want the unpleasant task of having to removing equally unpleasant and squirmy-looking insects from my textile bundle when the time comes to unpack it...Urgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment